The Legacy

Where I can truly be...me.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Who is greater, the master or the slave? For the master needs the slave to define him/her, but the slave has no need of the master at all. Lit class never fails to get me thinking, either via the stuff I have to cook up to write the essays, or how the concepts help me to see my situation through different eyes. Darn, I should've become a Lit major. No, wait...NUS is already making me make bio(But not so for my beloved plants and animals, I hope I never come to lose that wonder I have for you guys), it would be a horror...the horror...if it made me hate Lit as well. Thinking back to my childhood...I see this master/slave...or rather, oppressor/oppressed relationship in those that made me suffer so back then. They were a close knit bunch back then...but how close are they now. United...dare I say, defined by their drive to oppress me, now that I am gone from their lives, their unity has dissolved greatly. Yet I...I am as I ever was...me.

The whole concept of 'othering' has made me see W in a different light as well. In the case of Jekyll and Hyde, Hyde wasn't another person, just the side of Jekyll that wasn't socially acceptable, hidden away...repressed till it became toxic. Jekyll was the respectable, socially accepted side which was what a proper gentleman of that era should have been. Much like W and myself. W is the creation, that which can survive...no, thrive in the world. Using him to face the world would quite probably get me to where I want to me, get me what I want...and more. Sure, this would compromise all that makes me, me...but hey, it would work. Of course, I'm not so sure allowing W free reign would get me to heaven, but oh well. W is very much the Jekyll of today's world. Me, on the other hand, am Hyde. The key feature of Hyde that is often missed is that Mr Hyde, as Jekyll as nicely puts it, is underdeveloped. His are emotions, feelings and personality traits repressed by the strict formality of Jekyll's era. Thus this undevelopement is mirrored in his appearence. Many think of Hyde as a large, monsterous, hulk of a man. This can't be further from the truth. Hyde was very much a stooped-over dwarfish man. So who created whom? It was Jekyll who was created first, the mask to hide the default personality of the man. Eventually, that personality became locked inside and it took a potion to bring it out again. That was Hyde. So why did Jekyll even create the potion to release Hyde? Because that's who he was. Hyde. This is just my personal opinion, but I'll be he couldn't stand living the lie anymore. He couldn't hold it back...he just wanted to be who he really was...and behave as he really was. Hyde was shunned and hated by all who met him. Without even getting to know him, with only a mere look at him, he would be written off by people. Sound familiar?

I guess I've really had enough. I always thought it would be anger which would lead me to call on W again, if I ever did so. I never thought I could screw up my own life so badly by just...being me. W was right all along. I really am a kid. I have to grow up. And I will.

I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find...
As I try to make my way
To the Ordinary world
I will learn to survive...

From the song 'Ordinary World' by Duran Duran. I couldn't have said it better myself. To bad I haven't figured out how to prevent an oversurge yet. But never mind. I think its time I took things a little more seriously from now on. Welcome back, W.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home