The Legacy

Where I can truly be...me.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Constantly on my mind: Those closest to me seem so far away...and yes, I do miss them. A lot. More than I ought to, perhaps...but I do anyway.

Kao's off on a mission trip in Thailand. I wonder about it though. I mean, its great and all, but knowing Kao...I very much doubt that he'd have gone on it without a good deal of pressure. Its funny what Campus Crusade can talk you into. I'm actually somewhat glad I didn't become part of them. But hey, I've never felt at home with the Christian community...not any of the churches, cell groups, etc I've attended. But anyway, he's brave in going and I hope he's doing well over there.

In other news...Navia Dratp!! The figures are finally in!! Yay! I dare saw this is THE BEST miniatures game I've ever played...on many counts! Here's a short review of the game:

Appearance/packaging:
The game is well and attractively packaged. I have to admit that the artwork and package appearance far outshines many miniatures games in the market. The figures are very well detailed...all the way down to the anime-style eyes of the Navia figures. The non-painted figures show a great deal of detail and are generally safely packaged so you won't see many bent appendages. The painted figures are generally very well painted. Some of them even reach the 'wow' level for me, which is rare. Kao hasn't seen any of the painted figs yet, but if they wow him too, then that's really something. Kao's one of the toughest critics I know when it comes to a game's appearence. If you've seen Heroclix or Mage Knight...Naiva Dratp is like a zillion times better in terms of figure quality. A small downside in the packaging. The Starters are...huge. And most of the box is empty. What a waste of space...but the boosters are just nice though.

Cost:
Here is where Navia Dratp really shines in comparison to other miniatures games. For the quality you get, Navia Dratp is actually cheap. Let's just say that in the interest of fairness to the players, Bandai has kinda some something very stupid...at least from their point of view. They're not going to be making money. For one, there's no rarity. Yup, each booster figure is as rare as any other. Also, the starter figures do not duplicate in the boosters. That means that by buying the 2 starters, you'll get 16 figures...which you won't get in the boosters. Why is this stupid for Bandai? Because it makes it very easy to complete the set. 5-7 boosters should to the trick. Also, there are 'rare' painted figures of the figures in the starters that you can get in the boosters...but these have no difference in gameplay from the starter versions as all. Thus, for the player, there's no real incentive to go get these figures. For the collector...heh, that's the collector's problem. You'll need to buy at least 7 cases of boosters to get all the painted figures. But for pure gamers...it makes the game cheap. Don't buy from places like Comics Mart though. I can get the complete set of figs cheap, so just lemme know and I'll help ya get a set.

Gameplay:
This is where the game really shines. 100% strategy, totally no luck involved, except the luck of your opponent making a careless mistake. The figures are all very balanced and each have their own uses. There aren't any that totally suck nor are there any which are way too powerful. The gameplay itself is very flexible and there are even 3 different ways to win the game. Its like chess...only far, far better. This has to be seen to be believed.

Its too bad I'm not good at painting figs...some of those painted by players look totally cool...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home