The Legacy

Where I can truly be...me.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

As far as music is concerned, it really seems like the world has hit the pits. Okay, english music anyway. Somehow, most songs today seem so devoid of meaning and the people who sing them seem devoid of passion. Its not all crap, but it is practically all crap considering how rare it is to find a decent song. I'm sure most of the people who read my blog would disagree, but then again, I've always felt rather temporally displaced. As much as I don't like the past for various reasons, the more I look back and the music of bygone eras, the more I find that the best of those eras far outshines whatever crap the best of this day and age can offer. Seriously, there really isn't any point buying albums anymore...might as well just get the single of that one/two good song(s). Its quite different from the past, when the great idols of those generations were great not because they were one hit wonders, but because they would churn out hit after hit after hit and multiple singles in the same album would reach the top ten. Perhaps the best evidence of this is when a modern singer covers an old song and that again hits top ten. I doubt any singer of the modern age will be remembered like the many legends of the past: Elvis, ABBA, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Eagles, just to name a few. There are others too, who may not be known so well today by name, but whose songs are certainly known, like Don Mclean or Simon and Garfunkel.

The music of today is sex driven(usually because the singer is wearing practically nothing and/or looks hot or something), usually devoid of meaning and imagery and heck, might not even have a nice beat.

I'm starting to see an interesting parallel with Singapore. The singers of today aren't all bad. In fact, maybe there are more good singers and songs today. However, there aren't any greats. Just like Singapore, where the typical person may perhaps be more well rounded and/or better off in various ways than the average person from any other country...but you won't see a great person come out of here, that's for sure. We had perhaps one...and that is LKY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home