The Legacy

Where I can truly be...me.

Sunday, March 07, 2004

Creativity and talent...Interesting issues.

Just so there's no confusion, to me, talent is directional and creativity is general. That meaning that talent would be field and/or area specific while creativity would be a general ability, capable of being applied to all fields and areas. I find it funny to argue about creativity...I mean, as to whether it should come naturally or whether it should be practiced to be developed. My take on it is that its both. Simple as that. We all know that creativity cannot be forced, it has to come...but we all also know that opportuinity to use that creativity has to arise...there has to be the means of using that creativity when inspiration strikes.

The "leaving the world behind" and elitism bit on creativity is a whole other ball game. I may be forced to eat my words one day, but I just don't believe in either. Yes, you do need to constantly raise your standards to improve your craft. And yes, its easy to get caught up in your craft to the point of forgetting about the rest of the world. And yes, its also easy to isolate yourself in a circle of those who are masterful in that craft and refuse to interract with those outside that circle who either "Just can't appreciate it" or are just "of too low a standard". But to me...and this is just my point of view...unless the world hold nothing for you...and I mean totally nothing...you've got no reason to leave the rest of the world behind. That's how I see it. But for the rest of you...if betrays your priorities, though you might wish to deny it. It also shows your character. No friend or loved one wants to be told that they're second place to "an interest". And just because you're good at something is no reason to discriminate against people who aren't good at that exact same thing.

I'm sorry, I never liked the whole elitist concept. Anyway, creativity seems difficult to pin down...after all, is the creativity of an artist the same as the creativity of a strategist? Or what even distinguishes "Good art" from "Creative art"? Constant practice will train you and result in "Good art" or even "Excellent art"...but what fuels "Creative art"? I'm sure I've offended a good number of artists, but after watching A Beautiful Mind yesterday, one thing just refused to stay out of my thoughts. John Nash was brilliant. But while he searched for a truely original concept, he suffered a lot of flack because his peers were getting numerous papers published and he didn't have even one to show for it. His peers were "excellent mathaticians". He was creative. The difference is obvious. But he needed the right stimulus...the right environment...to provide him his inspiration. He couldn't work under medication. The point? He didn't really practice in the sense of the word...his first major breakthrough came to him while he was thinking about hitting on a gal at the bar. But he did do a lot of 'practice' in a different sense...when he had an idea, he'd see it through...even if it meant long hours working on equations.

I realise that in the last two paragraphs, I've gone round in circles. Well...thats how I think anyway. Aside from Command 001, I don't think I have a passion so strong that it'd take me away from those whom I care about...or cause me to forget about those who are important to me. But that's me. And to me, a person, a complex, equal being...one with feelings, thoughts and ideas...is more important than any lifeless persuit can be.

I talk too much. Of course, since few people come here, that's no matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home